Online Mixing Service
- INTRODUCTORY OFFER – Online mixing from £300 + VAT per track
- All tracks mixed in our studios by one of our experienced engineers
- Choose to have your music mixed ‘in the box’ or on an analogue console
- Choose to attend the session remotely, offering live feedback
- Up to three revisions (in the box) or one revision (analogue console)
- All mixes delivered with stems
Since we opened our first studio in 1984, literally hundreds of hits have been mixed here at Strongroom. Music that is played endlessly on the radio to this day (and still sounds fantastic) was polished to perfection in our studios; we offer a winning combination of great sounding rooms, amazing equipment and of course highly talented sound engineers. Our music mixing credentials are second to none.
The good news is that, since the eighties it has become a whole lot easier to access our studios. Thanks to the digital revolution, you can give your music the professional finish it deserves without being here in person. We’ll mix your tracks in our studios using the same processes we always use, consulting with you along the way. When you’re happy, we’ll send the mixes back to you. This flexible way of working means we can charge less too. This is our Online Mixing Service.
As with many of the other online music mixing services available, we aim to deliver your completed mix quickly – within a week whenever possible – and give you the opportunity to provide feedback before the final mix is printed.
Where we differ from most other online mixing services is that we offer you the choice to have your music mixed either in the box or on one of our lovely SSL or Neve analogue desks; we also offer you the opportunity to connect with the engineer as your music is being mixed, giving your feedback while the mix is actually taking place.
Your choice: Old vs. New
We know from our day-to-day running of a busy recording studio that there are people who like to mix ‘in the box’ and there are others who prefer the traditional approach, involving a large-format analogue console, such as our Neve or SSL desks. Each method has it’s own merits and we’re delighted to offer the choice to our online mixing clients:
Option 1 – In The Box
Introductory rate £300 + VAT
Your track is mixed by one of our engineers within Pro Tools, using our vast collection of software plug-ins. The mix session takes place in one of our studios, utilising the superb acoustics and professional monitoring environments and, at the engineer’s discretion, the stereo mix may be passed through analogue buss compression and EQ.
The advantage of mixing in the box is that recalls are quick and easy – for this reason we offer up to three mix revisions within the price.
If you’re looking for a pro-studio mix at an unbeatable price, this is the option for you.
Option 2 – Analogue Console
Introductory rate £400 + VAT
Your track is mixed on either the Neve VR Legend in Strongroom 1 or Strongroom 3’s SSL G+. The fantastic selection of analogue equipment in our studios is at the engineer’s disposal, including plate reverbs, spring reverbs and an enviable collection of classic and esoteric outboard processors. The advantage? Romance! Bragging rights! Some say it sounds better this way too.
These sessions are slow to recall and for this reason we print stems, from which a single set of revisions can be made. It is possible to specify which of our studios you’d like your track to be mixed in, but please bear in mind that this may result in a longer turnaround time.
Choose this option if you’re looking to have your tracks processed using some of the best studio gear money can buy.
Remote Attendance Option
£50 + VAT
We generally schedule online mix sessions at least 24 hours in advance, which means we’re able to offer you the chance to connect with the engineer remotely and communicate your feedback live, as the mix is taking place.
The way this works is as follows:
- We send you an email 24 hours before the session is planned, offering you the chance to attend remotely via Skype, with the audio broadcast to you as a separate stream via Nicecast.
- If you’d like to take up the Remote Attendance Option, we require an extra payment of £50 + VAT. We then arrange a time for you to connect with the engineer in the studio – this will usually be in the evening.
- At the appointed time, we make the connection and you have up to an hour to hear the mix live while talking directly to the engineer.
How It Works
1. Get In Touch
Complete the form by clicking the link below to get things started. Once we have this information, we’ll quickly get back to you to let you know how long it’s likely to take, confirm the costs involved and go over any technical issues, if necessary. There’s no obligation to go ahead at this stage.
2. Make Payment & Send Us Your Files
If you’re happy to go ahead, we’ll process your payment and let you know how to get the data to us.
3. We Mix…
Your tracks are sprinkled with a liberal helping of magic dust.
4. We talk…
Either live, while the mix is happening, or by sending you a high-quality mp3 for review and comments.
5. On completion of the session we produce:
- An uncompressed stereo master mix at the original sample rate/bit depth
- Backing track and a cappella versions to the same spec as the master mix
- Up to 10 stereo stem files
- A 16bit, 44.1kHz listening copy with basic limiting in .WAV format
We want you to get the best possible result from our Online Mixing Service, so it’s important to get a few things in order right from the start. Please read the following carefully:
- One song, maximum of 6 minutes/48 tracks
- We need audio files from you, NOT DAW sessions – i.e. Pro Tools, Logic etc.
- All audio files should have the same start point (e.g. bar 1 beat 1, so they re-align easily), the same sample frequency (44.1/48/88.2/96), the same bit depth (16/24) and be of the same format (.WAV, .AIFF). Each track should be clearly named and contain only one ‘sound’ (i.e. don’t have percussion in the verses then BVs in the chorus, we’ll treat these as separate tracks)
- Please get the tracks as close as possible in terms of tuning and timing before sending them to us. Drum editing and vocal tuning are not part of the Online Mixing Service. If we feel that more than a few quick tweaks are required here we’ll get in touch and ask you to do this before we start to mix the track.
- We need the tracks you send to be as ‘dry’ as possible, so remove any dynamics, reverb, delays etc. In cases where the processing is an integral part of the sound, please send both dry and wet versions, clearly labelled.
- Be sure to leave ample headroom and avoid clipping when preparing your tracks for delivery to us. It’s easy to introduce distortion when bouncing tracks and we won’t be able to remove it, so please take great care here.
- Include some written notes with your upload, plus your own rough mix and one or two references (commercial releases with a sound similar to the one you’re hoping to achieve). The more we can get a feel for what it is you’re aiming for, the easier it is to get it right first time.
- We DO NOT archive your session. All data is deleted from our computers a week after delivery, so please ensure you make appropriate back up arrangements.